Accepting online payments using 2Checkout
2Checkout is an online payment processing service that allows you to accept online credit card payments on your website. Before you can integrate your Wild Apricot site with 2Checkout, you must have a 2Checkout account .
Paying using 2Checkout
Once you've integrated your 2Checkout account with your Wild Apricot site, visitors to your site can pay online for membership fees and event registrations, and make donations.
When a visitor fills out an integrated online form on your Wild Apricot website (e.g. membership application or event registration) and chooses to pay online, they will be redirected to a secure 2Checkout.com payment screen to make the payment.
On the 2Checkout screen, they fill out their billing information, then click the Continue to Payment Method button.
From the Payment Method screen, they provide their credit card details then click Submit Payment.
On the next screen, they click Finalize Your Order to complete the payment.
After the payment is processed, the visitor is returned to the Invoices and payments tab on their member profile, where an invoice will appear, along with a payment entry, if the payment was successful.
Setting up your 2Checkout account
Before you can set up your Wild Apricot site to accept online payments using 2Checkout, you must set up a 2Checkout account. To create a 2Checkout account, click here.
While setting up your 2Checkout account, be sure to:
- Set the URL to one of the following (depending on whether you have set up a custom domain name):
- Set the Demo Setting option to Parameter
- Set Direct Return to Given links back to my website or Header Redirect (Your URL)
- Set the Approved URL field to http://yoursitename/sys/FinalizePayment or https://yoursitename/sys/FinalizePayment, where yoursitename is your Wild Apricot domain name (e.g. https://iats.wildapricot.org/sys/FinalizePayment)
Integrating your 2Checkout account with Wild Apricot
Once you've set up your 2Checkout account, you can integrate it into your Wild Apricot site.
What you need to get started
To integrate your 2Checkout account with Wild Apricot, you will need your account number and your secret word.
To find your secret word, log into your 2Checkout account and click the Account tab then the Site management tab. Towards the bottom of the Site Management page, you'll find your secret word.
Payment settings for 2Checkout
To integrate your 2Checkout into your Wild Apricot site, follow these steps:
- Under the Settings menu, click Finances.
- From the Finances settings screen, click Payment settings.
- On the Payment settings screen, click the Edit button.
- Click the Payment system drop-down list and select 2Checkout.
- If you want to begin accepting online payments immediately, click the Live radio button. If you want to test your settings using test or sandbox accounts provided by your payment provider, click the Test/Sandbox radio button. While in test mode, your payment provider will accept or decline your test transactions as it would live transactions, but will not charge any credit cards or update any bank accounts. Wild Apricot will, however, create payment records and update Wild Apricot balances as it would with live transactions. For more information, see Live vs. test/sandbox modes.
- In the Account # field, enter your 2Checkout account number.
- Enter your account's Secret word.
- Click the Default country drop-down list and select the country where the majority of your visitors reside. Your selection will appear as the default country to your customers.
- Select the currency you want to use in your transactions. This must match the currency you have selected in your 2Checkout account settings. Depending on the currency you choose, 2Checkout may display the amount due using the appropriate currency for the customer's country (for example, convert US dollars to Canadian dollars for Canadian customers). Once the payment is successfully processed, the amount paid is recorded in Wild Apricot using your selected currency.
Note: Do not change the currency after your site begins accepting online payments. If you change the currency, existing payment records will not be recalculated and will no longer display correct amounts.
- In the Instructions fields, add payment instructions to be displayed to your customers.
- Click Save changes.
Now that you have set up your Wild Apricot site to receive online payments, a Pay online button will appear after a visitor to your site clicks the Confirm button while applying for membership or registering for an event.
Recurring payments are supported by 2Checkout but are not supported by Wild Apricot during the initial implementation of this payment system.
- Depending on the currency you select on the Payment settings screen, 2Checkout may ignore your selection when displaying the amount due on its payment screens. Instead, 2Checkout may use the customer's IP address to determine their country then convert the payment amount to the appropriate currency for that country (for example, convert US dollars to Canadian dollars for Canadian customers). Once the payment is successfully processed, the amount paid is recorded in Wild Apricot using your selected currency.