Accepting online payments using PayPal Express Checkout
Before you can set up your Wild Apricot site to work with PayPal Express Checkout, you must set up an account with PayPal.
Paying using PayPal Express Checkout
Once you've integrated your PayPal account with your Wild Apricot site, visitors to your site can pay online for membership fees and event registrations, and make donations.
When a visitor fills out an integrated online form on your Wild Apricot website (e.g. membership application or event registration) and chooses to pay online, they will be redirected to PayPal's site where they can use their PayPal account or their credit or debit card to make the payment.
From here, they can log into their PayPal account or enter their credit card or debit card details. Then they will be returned to the Wild Apricot site, where they can confirm and complete the purchase.
Integrating your PayPal account with Wild Apricot
To accept online payments using PayPal Express Checkout, you must have a Business or Premier PayPal account. See PayPal account setup for recommended account settings.
If you want to set up recurring payments for membership fees, you must enable instant payment notification (IPN) in your PayPal account. For instructions on enabling IPN, see Recurring payments.
What you need to get started
To integrate your PayPal account with Wild Apricot, you will need your PayPal account ID (your email address), your API username, your API password, and your API signature. To view or request your API credentials, follow these steps:
- Log into your PayPal account.
- Click the Profile tab.
- Click My selling tools.
- Click Update beside API Access under Selling online.
- From the API Access screen, click the Add or edit API permissions link.
- If you haven't requested API credentials before, click the Request API credentials link. If you have previously requested API credentials, click View API signature.
- If you haven't requested your API credentials before, make sure the Request API signature option is selected then click the Agree and Submit button. (This step doesn't occur if you are asking to view previously requested credentials.)
- The details of your API signature now appears. You can copy them and paste them into your Wild Apricot settings.
Payment settings for PayPal Express Checkout
Once you have set up your PayPal account, follow these steps to integrate it with your Wild Apricot site:
- Under the Settings menu, click Finances.
- From the Finances settings screen, click Payment settings.
- On the Payment settings screen, click the Edit button.
- Click the Payment system drop-down list and select PayPal Express Checkout.
- If you want to begin accepting online payments immediately, click the Live radio button. If you want to test your settings using test or sandbox accounts provided by PayPal, click the Test/Sandbox radio button. While in test mode, your payment provider will accept or decline your test transactions as it would live transactions, but will not charge any credit cards or update any bank accounts. Wild Apricot will, however, create payment records and update Wild Apricot balances as it would with live transactions. For more information, see Live vs. test/sandbox modes.
- Enter your PayPal account ID (your email address).
- Enter your API username, API password, and API signature.
- Select the credit card types you want to accept. (These should match what you have set up in your PayPal account.)
- Click Validate account to make sure your PayPal Express Checkout account details are valid.
If the account validation fails, check to make sure you entered the account details properly.
- Select the default country you want to display to the customers for online payments.
- Select the currency you want to use in your transactions. (This should match your PayPal account.)
Note: Do not change the currency after your site begins accepting online payments. If you change the currency, existing payment records will not be recalculated and will no longer display correct amounts.
- Add payment instructions to be displayed to the customer.
- Click Save changes.
Now that you have set up your Wild Apricot site to receive online payments, a Pay online button will appear after a visitor to your site clicks the Confirm button while applying for membership or registering for an event.
If you encounter problems using PayPal Express Checkout to process transactions on your Wild Apricot site, check the following:
On this page: