Purchasing a security certificate from DigiCert
To secure a custom domain (such as www.nycs.net instead of nycs.wildapricot.org), you need to purchase a custom security certificate that Wild Apricot support can then install. Without a security certificate, visitors who access your site by manually entering https will typically see a security warning displayed by their browser. They can ignore it and use the site but may be scared away by the warning.
The cost of a one-year security certificate – which you purchase independently – begins around $100. To install the security certificate on your custom domain, we charge an initial fee of $50 and a renewal fee of $50.
To purchase and install a security certificate from DigiCert, follow these steps:
- Contact Wild Apricot support and provide the following information:
- Country/region Name (2 letter code) – you can find your two-digit country code at: www.digicert.com/ssl-certificate-country-codes.htm
- State/province (full name)
- Organization name – The legally registered name of your organization/company (maximum 64 symbols, including spaces).
- Organizational unit name – The name of your department within the organization (frequently this entry will be listed as "IT," "Web Security," or is simply left blank).
- Common name – The name/domain through which the certificate will be accessed (usually the fully-qualified custom domain name e.g. www.mysite.com.
- Email Address
- Our support representative will generate and email you a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) file. Save the CSR file to a location on your computer or network. You will use the CSR to order an SSL certificate from DigiCert.
Go to DigiCert.com and click the option to Buy an SSL Plus Certificate.
- On the order form that appears, you can choose to upgrade to Extended Validation SSL Plus, or stay with the regular SSL Plus certificate.
- Under Validity Period, choose how long you want the certificate to apply.
- Under Name(s) to Secure, leave Common Name blank and check the box labelled I would live to provide my CSR and auto-fill names now.
- On the dialog that appears, select either Apache or nginx as the server software.
- Click Upload a CSR and select the CSR file sent to you by Wild Apricot support.
- The contents of the CSR file will be automatically pasted. Click the Continue button.
- Click Continue from the order form and complete your product order. You will receive one or more files from DigiCert containing a security certificate and the intermediate certificate.
- After receiving the zip file from DigiCert, email it to Wild Apricot support.
- After we receive the certificate from you, we'll install it on your website and let you know when we're done.
- Finally, you must update your custom domain DNS settings within your domain registrar account. We'll let you know what you have to change.
Once the process is complete, we'll invoice you for the installation fee.