4.3 – Released on December 14, 2011
Redesign of the invoicing/payment workflow
- Any contact (e.g. not only members) can log in, view and pay invoices from their profile, as well as view an archived list of invoices and payments
- Ability to complete one or several transactions (e.g. membership application and event registration, or registrations to two different events) and pay them individually or at the same time
- Each self-service transaction will generate an invoice (except for donations) which can be paid online at any time (e.g. retrying failed payments)
- Ad-hoc invoices (e.g. manually recorded invoices) can be paid online by contacts - like any other invoice - using a link which is emailed to them (see View account history and pay invoices)
- Overpayments, partial payments, and other credits are displayed in every contact's profile - e.g. user would only have to pay net outstanding balance. For example, once invoice is created, administrator can apply discounts/credits to it and then online payment can be done for the outstanding balance only
- New 'Public memo' field for invoices (shown to buyers)
- Passwords are now generated automatically for new members/contacts and emailed to them - previously members set their passwords on sign-up during membership application
- There is no longer a concept of 'In progress' or 'Abandoned' transactions - except for donations. As soon as a transaction is confirmed, an invoice is generated and stays 'open' until a payment is either received via online payment or recorded manually by the administrator
- Reduced the number of email templates for event and membership workflows, see: Default membership emails and Default Event Emails
- For more details see Getting ready for new version 4.3 and Key Payment Changes from version 4.2 to 4.3
Automatic tracking of email bounces (i.e. undeliverable email)
- Email delivery status added to email log
- If a contact has persistent email delivery problems (e.g. email no longer valid), system will automatically disable emails delivery to contact
- Individual email bounces are no longer forwarded to administrators
Ability for administrators to process credit card charges manually
New 'flexible' layout theme 'Granite'
The theme automatically expands/shrinks to the visitor screen resolution
Other notable changes
- Membership-related macros are now available in email templates: Member_Renewal_Date, Member_Next_Renewal_Date, Member_Since, Member_Status, Member_Level_Fee, Member_Level, Member_Level_Full
- Enabled macro EventField_... in invoice emails
- Members in Pending status can now use member-only event registration types. This enables a scenario where people can register for an event and apply for membership at the same time - and then pay once.
- Advanced search to find contacts with open balance
- Improvements to automatic recurring payments interface:
- "Invoices and Payments" tab in contact profile shows next recurring payment with next charge date and amount. There is also a Cancel button to cancel the recurring payment.
- Invoice for recurring payments are automatically generated as soon as charge is processed successfully. If charge fails, "Recurring renewal failed" email is sent to a member.
- When registering for an event, system suggests appropriate actions: "Login", "Renew membership", and "Apply for membership".
- Invoice for any transaction can now be billed to another person, i.e. event registration of "Mary Smith" can be billed to "John Smith". For self-service transactions, billing person is determined automatically and cannot be changed. Administrator can change invoice's billing contact in the administration backend.
- New button to generate and email new password to the contact. This email uses new customizable template: Settings / Contact settings / Password email
- Logged-in users will see a special warning message at the bottom right corner of the screen if they have 1) open balance 2) incomplete transactions 3) lapsed/overdue/upcoming membership renewal
- Redesigned credit-card entry screen and moved all of the payment processing code into a separate application as we go through the formal PCI compliance certification
- Theme override failsafes implemented to reduce the chances of site malfunctions when Theme Overrides are used - and make troubleshooting easier
- Member ID renamed to User ID (long overdue since this field has always applied to all contacts, not just members)
- WebDAV: '%' or '&' in file names are automatically changed to '_' when file is uploaded (Before this change, trying to upload files with those characters led to upload failure)
- Forgot password will now say if email entered is not found in the database
- Dozens of small bugs exterminated (we do not publish the full list as each one typically applies just to one or two clients, so such a list would be useless to most others)