5.4 – Released on June 15, 2015
The Version 5.4 release of Wild Apricot consists of the following changes, enhancements, and bug fixes.
Post-release updates (latest: July 9, 2015)
The following updates to Version 5.4 have been released.
API key option replaced by Authorized applications
Instead of generating an API key to provide full access to your entire account, Wild Apricot now requires you to authorize individual applications to access your Wild Apricot account. This is a more secure approach since it allows you to limit access differently for different applications.
Consequently, the API key option on the Settings screen has been replaced with an Authorized applications option.
If you've previously generated an API key for your account – prior to the 5.4 release – it will automatically be converted to an authorized application called Legacy API key.
While authorizing an external application, you can now limit the API key to providing access to read-only functions.
For applications that provide account access to individual users (a mobile app, for example), the application now needs a client ID and a client secret for authentication (see below).
For more information, see Authorizing external applications.
API authentication changes
Wild Apricot is changing the authentication process for version 2 of its API from account authentication to the more secure application-based authorization. Instead of generating a single API key that provides complete access to your entire Wild Apricot account, you authorize individual applications, each of which are assigned separate credentials.
If you are currently using an API key to authenticate your application, you can continue to do so, and no code changes are required.
As well, Wild Apricot is changing the possible scope values when restricting access using Wild Apricot's API. This is necessary to support the ability to restrict API key access to read-only functions. One of the new scopes – auto – will automatically detect the maximum allowed scope using the API key access level or the user's Wild Apricot account permissions, depending on which was used when requesting an authentication token. No code changes will be required because of this change as newly obsolete scopes will be automatically substituted by the corresponding new scope.
Replacing the Facebook Like Box gadget
Facebook is dropping its Like box plugin in favor of a new Facebook Page plugin on June 23rd. Consequently, we will be automatically – and immediately – switching all Facebook Like box gadgets on all Wild Apricot sites to a new Facebook page gadget.
Your settings will be automatically migrated to the new gadget.
You can now add member-only content from your Wild Apricot site into your WordPress site, and provide a single logon that authenticates Wild Apricot members and logs them into both their Wild Apricot and WordPress accounts.
Using the Wild Apricot Login plugin for WordPress, you can also restrict content on your WordPress to your Wild Apricot members, in addition to providing access to restricted Wild Apricot content such as member directories and member-only events. Any restricted Wild Apricot content – embedded using Wild Apricot widgets – can be accessed without further authentication.
You can display a login button for single sign-on by adding a WordPress widget – installed along with the Wild Apricot Login plugin – to the header in your WordPress theme layout, or by inserting a shortcode in your WordPress page content. A shortcode can also be added to a WordPress page to restrict WordPress content to Wild Apricot members.
Single sign-on service
Using Wild Apricot's single sign-on service, you can integrate an external site – like your Joomla or Drupal site – with your Wild Apricot site. With single sign-on implemented, your members can log into both sites using their Wild Apricot credentials, and content on your external site can be restricted to Wild Apricot members.
The single sign-on service was initially developed to support integration with WordPress, but can be used with any site that supports server-side code.
Line height control
You can now control line height or line spacing (aka leading) – the vertical space between lines within a paragraph.
You can set the line height separately for each paragraph, or change the line height for multiple paragraphs.
New fully responsive theme
Another fully responsive theme set – The Homestead theme set was designed with home building associations in mind, but can be used by any type of organization, particularly if you want to take advantage of its responsiveness and its theme-specific functionality (see below).– has been added.
T heme-specific functionality includes:
- Static background that doesn't move as visitors scroll up and down the page
- Sticky placeholder to create a non-scrolling area at the top of the page – perfect for sticky menus
- Orientation option – horizontal and vertical – for log in form gadgets
- Ability to hide the Remember me and Forgot password labels within log in form gadgets, and control whether the email and password labels appear within the entry fields, or outside them
- Secondary menu gadget
- Alignment options for secondary menu, log in button, and log in form gadgets
- Font Awesome iconic font set for adding icons you can easily size and color
- New link button styles
- New social profile icon styles
A number of issues have been resolved, including the following:
- Random sorting of member directory not working in some cases
- Export button missing when browsing advanced member search results
- Full text justification appears as left text justification on Chrome
- Redirect loop for Pending - New admin if starting page is restricted to members
- Social profile gadget lacking URL validation
- An event manager can view but not export admin-only fields
- Unable change the H3 font family, font size, font weight and font color in White space theme
- Renewal invoices automatically generated for lapsed members
- Indent block option not working when editing an event description
- Pasting HTML code while editing emails in HTML view does not work in Safari on MacOS
- Content overlapping when editing membership details in Safari under MacOS