Site setup and customization
Each Wild Apricot account provides a website, hosting for the website, and the interactive tools – known collectively as a Content Management System (CMS) – to set up and manage the website. By default, your site is already set up with several useful pages, including a membership application form and an event calendar.
You can quickly and easily create new pages and modify the default ones, and customize the look, feel, and functionality of the site using tools provided by Wild Apricot. You don’t need to do any coding, and you don’t need experience designing web pages. For experienced website designers and developers, Wild Apricot provides additional tools for advanced customization and fine-tuning of your Wild Apricot website.
Using widgets, you can add elements from your Wild Apricot site to another website. For example, you can add an event calendar to another site using an event calendar widget.
What you need to know
- Each page consists of gadgets that display custom content like text and pictures, or dynamic functionality such as menus, blogs, membership application forms, and login boxes.
- Templates form the foundation for individual site pages. Each site page derives its layout from a template, and inherits any gadgets that appear on the template.
- Each page can be based on a different template, and multiple pages can share the same template.
- Each page template is based on a particular master layout which defines the areas – called placeholders where content can be added.
- You can add layouts to divide content areas into sections consisting of columns and rows, with each layout cell acting as a container for one or more gadgets.
- Designing a page involving dropping gadgets into – or between – layouts, then customizing the gadget.
- You can also customize system pages – pages that perform routine functions, such as authentication and event registration.
- For each page on your site, you can control the type of users who can access it.
- When you delete a page or template, it is moved to the trash where it can be restored.
- You can view and restore previous versions of each page.
- The overall look and feel of your site depends on which website theme you choose.
- You can modify the colors and styles of common elements that appear throughout your site.
- For experienced website designers and developers, Wild Apricot provides additional tools for advanced customization and fine-tuning of your Wild Apricot website.
What you should do first
How do you...?
- Add dynamic content
- Add custom content
- Add and customize layouts
- Add and customize gadgets
- Set up page headers and footers
- Reorder menu options
- Set up custom URLs
- Define meta-tags
- Redirect a page
- Customize system pages
- Upload files to my account
- Extend my site with third-party tools
- Add Wild Apricot functionality to another website
- Use a different domain name
- Track website traffic
- Optimize my site for search engines