Viewing and editing membership details
Members are contacts , but they are a special kind of contact with special features and characteristics. What most distinguishes members from other contacts is that members are assigned to membership levels .
When someone becomes a member of your organization, a contact record is automatically created. From the member's contact record, administrators can view and edit membership details. Members can view and modify their own membership details from their profile page.
From the Members module, you can view a table summarizing your membership database, or a full list of members that you can filter and search.
Displaying the member summary
To view the member summary, hover over the Members menu and select the Summary option.
Using the toolbar options, you can add a new member, export the entire member database, or send a mass email to all members in your database.
When you click on a number within the table, a list of members with that membership level and membership status will appear.
Within the list, you can click a member's name to view their membership details.
Displaying the member list
To display the full member list, hover over the Members menu and select the List option.
On the simple search page that appears, you can filter the list by entering a search keyword or by selecting from a list of predefined filters.
To perform a more advanced search, using multiple search criteria, click the Advanced search tab. From the advanced search page, you can assemble your search criteria and save your search for future use.
Using the toolbar options, you can add a new member, export the current member list, send a mass email to the current member list, or archive the current member list.
For example, you could search for:
- members who last logged in more than 3 months ago
- members at a particular level with a renewal due in the next week
- members from a particular state with email delivery disabled
Once you have your search results, you can view individual member details by clicking on members within the list.
Printing the member list or member summary
To print the member list or member summary, display the list or summary then click the Print icon in the upper right corner of the screen, beside the Wild Apricot logo.
Viewing membership details
Within a member's contact record, membership details appear on the Membership tab.
On this tab, the following information is displayed for each member:
- Membership card (if you've published one)
- Membership level
- Membership status
- Member since date
- Date renewal due on
- Date that renewal date was last changed
- Date that membership level was last changed
- Membership field values
- Member groups participation
Membership fields are custom fields that you have added to your Wild Apricot database. Membership fields also appear on your membership application form, and can be restricted to specific membership levels.
Modifying membership details
From the Membership tab of a member's contact record, you can modify various membership details.
To modify membership details, click the Edit button within the Membership section of the Membership tab.
From the Edit membership screen, you can update the level, status, renewal date, password, membership fields, and member group participation.
To modify only member group participation, click the Edit button within the Group participation section.
Renewing a membership
To manually renew a member's membership, click the Renew button.
On the screen that appears, you can specify the next renewal date and click Save to complete the renewal. Unless the membership level is free, you will be asked to choose one of the following options:
- Activate without invoice – activates the membership renewal without generating an invoice or adding to the member's outstanding balance. Choose this option if this member has already paid and/or you do not want to track this transaction in Wild Apricot.
- Generate invoice – generates an invoice for the membership renewal. The member can then pay the invoice online through their profile or by using an offline payment method (e.g. cash, check).
- Cancel – cancels the membership renewal.
If the membership level is free, you will be asked to confirm the renewal.
Members can also renew their membership themselves from their profile page.
Suspending a membership
You may wish to suspend someone's membership because of an overdue renewal payment or some other reason. You can also suspend a member to convert the member into a contact.
Suspending a membership will:
- Remove the membership so they become a non-member contact
- Hide them from any member directory
- Keep an archive of their membership level and status
- Keep all their contact information as it was before (e.g. you can still send emails to this person)
For more information, see How membership status affects available functionality.
To suspend a member, click the Suspend button within the Membership tab.
If, at a later date, you wish to reinstate the contact as a member, you can click on the Resume button within their membership tab. This will reactivate them to their previous membership level with all their details intact.
From their profile page, members can change their membership level, renew their membership, change membership field values, and manage member group participation.
On this page:
- Membership levels
- Setting and changing passwords
- Member groups
- Member and contact - edit profile
- Member - renew or change level
- Suspending a membership
- Viewing and editing contact details