Website themes determine the overall look of Wild Apricot sites. A default website theme is assigned when you create your Wild Apricot account. You can customize your theme in a variety of ways. To switch to a different theme, select the Theme option under the Website menu.
What does a theme control?
Website themes control the following elements of your website:
- Default colors, shapes, and shades
- Default site background and background image library
- Text style choices in the content editor (e.g. Heading 1, Heading 2)
- ArtText choices in the content editor (e.g. Site title 1, Page heading 1)
- Customization options that appear on the Colors and Styles screen
- Menu location (vertical or horizontal) and whether the menu is static or dynamic (flyout)
- Orientation of the log in form gadget (horizontal or vertical)
- Matching visual styles in online forms
- Master layouts
To view samples of the available website themes, click here.
A default website theme is assigned to your site when you first create your Wild Apricot account. You can, at any time, switch to a different theme.
You can choose from a number of professionally designed themes in a variety of styles and colors.
To change your website theme, select the Theme option under the Website menu. Within the theme gallery that appears, click the theme you want to use then click the Apply selected theme button. The themes are grouped into theme packs according to their layout and design.
After you click Apply selected theme, you will be asked to confirm your selection before the change is applied. Then, you will be taken to a site page where selected theme can be previewed. From here, you can make the change permanent or revert back to your previous website theme.
When you switch themes, one or more pages may be added to your site to illustrate various theme-specific content and styles.
Testing themes using a cloned site
If you want to explore a different website theme without altering your current site, you can ask Wild Apricot Support to create a clone of your current site.
The cloned site functions as a sandbox where you can evaluate a theme and run tests, but it is not an exact copy of your site, and any changes you make to the cloned site cannot be copied over to your existing site.
There are a number of differences between your existing site and the cloned site:
- Only one full administrator is copied.
- Only the first 3 events are copied.
- Financial data, email logs etc. will not be copied.
- The cloned site is set as a free Trial account for 30 days so you may encounter different restrictions from your existing site.
After selecting and applying a website theme, you can customize your theme in a number of ways.
- From the Colors and Styles screen, you can change the colors and fonts of elements within the theme. For example, you can change the appearance of menus, links, headings, body text, and forms, among other elements.
- Using CSS customizations, you can change the styles that determine the appearance of text elements within your theme.
- Using theme overrides, you can replace or override the theme files that control the appearance of the current theme. Typically, your override files will include code to customize a feature or element of your theme.
Themes, master layouts, and page templates
Each website theme contains a number of different master layouts which can form the basis of any number of different page templates.
A master layout provides a broad outline of the page, which the page template can refine. Master layouts and page templates can also contain graphical elements. All master layouts within a theme share the same look and feel, including color scheme. Different master layouts are available depending on the currently selected theme.
Master layouts are not accessible through a graphical interface but can be modified through theme overrides.
Mobile friendly themes
Wild Apricot's newest theme sets – Bookshelf , Building Blocks, Fiesta, Firma, Homestead, Kaleidoscope, Showcase, Skyline , Terra, Tinted Tiles, and Whiteboard – are fully responsive and mobile friendly. Sites that use these themes automatically adjust their contents to fit properly on different sized screens, including mobile devices.
Themes that are responsive will appear on the Themes screen with both desktop and mobile thumbnails.
For more information on responsiveness, see Designing responsive pages .
Some of the newer themes feature theme-specific functionality not available in all themes.
The table summarizes the theme-specific functions.
|Additional gadgets||Secondary menu gadget||Blueprint, Bookshelf, Building Blocks, Fiesta, Firma, Homestead, Kaleidoscope, Showcase, Skyline, Terra, Tinted Tiles, Whiteboard|
|Backgrounds||Static site background (doesn't move as visitors scroll up and down the page)||Firma, Homestead, Skyline|
|Transparent gadget backgrounds||Firma, Terra|
|Fonts and text styles||Font Awesome iconic font||Building Blocks, Clean Lines, Dark Impact, Fiesta, Firma, Homestead, Kaleidoscope, Showcase, Skyline, Terra, Tinted Tiles, Treehouse, White Space|
|Transparent text styles||Blueprint, Firma, Homestead, Showcase, Skyline, Terra|
|Gadget styles and options||Alignment option for vertical menu gadgets||Building Blocks, Kaleidoscope, Tinted Tiles|
|Alignment option for secondary menu gadgets||Firma, Homestead, Terra|
|Fixed position for social profile gadget||Firma, Terra|
|Round donation goal styles||Skyline|
|Round featured member styles||Skyline|
|Round link button styles||Blueprint, Fiesta, Firma, Terra|
|Sticky menu style||Firma, Terra|
|Log in gadgets||Alignment option for log in button gadgets||Building Blocks, Clean Lines, Dark Impact, Firma, Homestead, Kaleidoscope, Showcase, Terra, Tinted Tiles, Treehouse, White Space|
|Alignment option for log in form gadgets||Building Blocks, Firma, Homestead, Kaleidoscope, Showcase, Terra, Tinted Tiles, Treehouse|
|Control whether the email and password labels appear within the log in form gadget fields, or outside them||All except Business Casual, Granite|
|Dropdown login form||Building Blocks, Firma, Kaleidoscope, Showcase, Skyline, Terra, Tinted Tiles|
Hide the Remember me and Forgot password labels within log in form gadgets
|All except Business Casual, Granite|
|Orientation option for log in form gadgets||All except Business Casual, Granite|
|Mobile||Mobile panel||Building Blocks, Firma, Kaleidoscope, Terra, Tinted Tiles|
|Hide pictures in mobile view||Firma, Terra|
|Responsive||Bookshelf, Building Blocks, Clean Lines, Dark Impact, Fiesta, Firma, Homestead, Kaleidoscope, Showcase, Skyline, Terra, Tinted Tiles, Treehouse, Whiteboard, White Space|
|Page templates||Sticky placeholder||Blueprint, Fiesta, Homestead|
Support for older themes
Wild Apricot is no longer supporting a number older website themes, allowing us to focus our development and testing efforts on newer, more responsive themes.
The older themes that we are no longer supporting are:
- Aurora horizontal/hybrid
- Clean Lines
- Dark Impact
- White Space
What do we mean by not supporting?
- We won’t be testing new features to make sure they work properly with these themes
- These themes will longer appear as options within the website theme gallery
- If you switch from an older theme that is no longer supported, you will not be able to switch back to it later
If you are currently using one of these themes, your site will continue to function as before, although new gadgets – or new features for existing gadgets – may not work as expected with these themes. Within the theme selection screen, your theme will appear as deprecated if it is no longer supported.
On this page: